Updated January 2020
I may modify the contents of this website and its terms of service at any time. Modifications to the terms of service will not affect projects already under contract.
Responsibilities of the Client
You bear responsibility for
- Reviewing the quality of your final draft’s contents and presentation. I will edit your project using my best editorial judgment in conjunction with the advice given in current editions of authoritative editorial resources. However, because you make your own judgments in accepting or rejecting any of my corrections or suggestions, you are responsible for the work you submit for publication.
- Communicating any of your specific requirements or preferences before I begin working on your project. The more I know about what’s important to you, the better I can serve you.
- Sending the work to me on time. If you send me the project later than what we have mutually agreed to, I reserve the right to refuse the project or to extend the project’s schedule or deadline.
- Preserving original copies of any document sent to me.
- Ensuring to the best of your ability that the documents I receive from you are free of any computer viruses or similar corruption. It is also your responsibility to scan for viruses before downloading revised documents that you receive from me.
Responsibilities of the Editor
I take responsibility for
- Editing projects and responding to your queries in a professional manner.
- Editing your document according to a high standard of quality. That said, I cannot guarantee any manuscript’s acceptance for publication.
- Delivering revisions by our agreed deadline.
- Keeping your personal information strictly confidential. I will not share your personal information with anyone else.
Other Important Considerations
- Our contract will be governed by the laws of the United States, and the exclusive venue for any arbitration or legal proceedings related to our contract shall be in Tucson, Arizona. You and I agree that legal action will be a last resort in attempting to resolve any dispute related to our contract.
- If I am unable to take on your project, I might be able to recommend another editor. However, I am not liable for the quality of editing or terms of service that another editor provides.
- I will be available to respond to client calls and emails during my regular office hours (Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Mountain Standard Time). It is my preference that we correspond through email because we will both be able to respond more thoroughly and with greater convenience and flexibility. It will also be more useful to both of us if we are able to reference written conversations.
Payment, Refunds, and Cancellations
- All fees are to be paid in U.S. dollars. Editing rates will be established on a case-by-case basis.
- If you request additional services during the project that exceed the scope of the original contract, you agree that it may be necessary to renegotiate both the fee and the payment/delivery schedule.
- All deposits are non-refundable except in extreme circumstances beyond my control that would force me to cancel a project.
- You can cancel your project at any time for any reason. If you choose to do so, you agree to send written notice at your earliest opportunity. For projects that do not require a deposit, you agree to pay for any work that I’ve completed. If you were required to pay a deposit, you forfeit your deposit and will be required to pay for any completed work that exceeds the amount of this deposit.
- If I need to cancel a project owing to circumstances beyond my control, I will promptly contact you in writing and do my best to find a different editor to complete your project. I will refund the amount already paid that exceeds the work I’ve completed. No refund will exceed the fee for work completed at the point of cancellation.