Updated February 2018
I may modify the contents of this website and its terms of service at any time. I also reserve the right to modify any aspect of my services at any time. Modifications to the terms of service will not affect projects that are already in progress.
Responsibilities of the Client
You bear responsibility for
- Reviewing the quality of your final draft’s contents and presentation. I will work through your project using my best editorial judgment in conjunction with the advice given in current editions of authoritative editorial resources. However, because you make your own judgments in accepting or rejecting any of my corrections or suggestions, you accept responsibility for the work you submit for publication.
- Complying with your academic institution’s policies on hiring a professional editor.
- Ensuring the originality of your material. If I have solid reason to suspect that any student or author has plagiarized intentionally, I reserve the right to terminate the project, and any refund will be at my discretion.
- Communicating any of your specific requirements or preferences before I begin working on your project. The more I know about what’s important to you, the better I can serve you.
- Sending the work to me on time. If you send me the project later than what we have mutually agreed to, I reserve the right to refuse the project or to extend the project’s schedule or deadline.
- Preserving original copies of any document sent to me.
- Ensuring to the best of your ability that the documents I receive from you are free of any computer viruses or similar corruption. It is also your responsibility to scan for viruses before downloading revised documents that you receive from me.
Responsibilities of the Editor
I take responsibility for
- Editing projects and responding to your queries in a professional manner.
- Taking all reasonable steps to edit your document according to a high standard of quality. However, I do not guarantee improved grades, passing grades, or a manuscript’s acceptance for publication.
- Delivering revisions by the deadline agreed to in our contract.
- Commenting on any text that is unclear and providing suggestions for improvement when appropriate.
- Pointing out major problems with the logic, flow, or overall structure of your writing so that you may provide a sufficient remedy. This also applies to resolving inaccurate or incomplete information in footnotes or a bibliography. I will make every effort to point out such discrepancies so that you can provide the complete and correct information.
- Keeping your personal information strictly confidential. I will not share your personal information with anyone else.
Other Important Considerations
- Our contract will be governed by the laws of the United States, and the exclusive venue for any arbitration or legal proceedings related to our contract shall be in Tucson, Arizona. You and I agree that legal action will be a last resort in attempting to resolve any dispute related to our contract.
- If I am unable to take on your project, I might be able to recommend another editor. However, I am not liable for the quality of editing or terms of service that another editor provides.
- I am committed to delivering services and responding to a client’s needs in a professional manner, and I expect the same treatment in return. I request that you respect the following conditions in particular:
- I am under no obligation to provide business records of any kind to any client unless it is expressly stated in our written contract.
- I will be available to respond to client calls during my regular office hours (Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Mountain Standard Time). It is my preference that we correspond through email because we will both be able to respond more thoughtfully, more thoroughly, and with greater convenience and flexibility. It will also be more useful to both of us if we are able to reference written conversations.
- I will not be available to respond to quote requests or queries, take calls, edit documents, or return documents on Sundays. This will be factored into my estimate for your turnaround time.
Payment, Refunds, and Cancellations
- All fees are to be paid in U.S. dollars. Rates for book manuscripts and academic editing will be established on a case-by-case basis.
- All deposits are non-refundable except in extreme circumstances beyond my control that would force me to cancel a project.
- You can cancel the project at any time for any reason. If you choose to do so, you agree to send written notice at your earliest opportunity. For projects that do not require a deposit, you agree to pay for any work that I’ve completed. If you were required to pay a deposit, you forfeit your deposit and will be required to pay for any completed work that exceeds the amount of this deposit.
- I will cancel a project only if there are circumstances beyond my control (e.g., equipment or extended power failure, natural disaster, serious illness). In the event that I need to stop working before a project’s completion, I will promptly contact you in writing and do my best to find a different editor to complete your project. I will refund the amount paid that exceeds the work I’ve completed. No refund will exceed the fee for work completed at the point of cancellation.
- If you request additional services during the project that exceed the scope of the original contract, you agree that it may be necessary to renegotiate both the fee and the payment/delivery schedule.
- I expect you to pay in a timely manner according to the terms of our contract. If you do not pay within thirty days of receiving an invoice, I reserve the right to add an additional 2.5 percent of the original fee to your total for each month you remain delinquent. Moreover, if you persist in ignoring requests for payment, I reserve the right to engage the services of a debt-collection agency. I will give you written notice to offer you a final opportunity to settle your bill before I seek the aid of such a service. If I need to bring in a debt collector, the fees that I pay to that agency will also be added to your total.